Friday 15 March 2013

ANALYSIS: RON GALELLA

Ron Galella- 'The king of Paparazzi'

Ron Galella was born January 10th 1931. He is an American photographer and is most commonly known as a pioneer paparazzo.
His work has been exhibited and has gone on many famous tabloid magazine.I have chosen to look at Ron Galella because I think that his photographs tie in very well with the theme Covert and Obscured because his job is essentially being those two things.
He takes discreet photographs of famous people and then exhibits them any way he sees fit.

To better understand his work I have looked at his personal website which has information about him and his work and all his past exhibits

 I would say that his work is mostly portraits of famous people. I wouldn't say his work necessarily has a certain theme, but it could be the thought of invading someone's privacy and catching them doing random acts and going on about their daily life. Majority of his photographs (due to the era they were taking in) are done using a film SLR and therefore are in black and white.

I have chosen to look at his work because I think it ties in well with the theme of being covert and obscured. I like the way he manages to capture these celebrities of guard and at times we see these people for who they are, not all posed up and glammed up as we are made to believe that they are.

Galella's work has inspired me to become a lit bit more risky with my photography and sometimes the unexpected can turn out better.


Ron Gallela inspired:




I essentially did the same thing as Gallela and caught these two photographs of my model in her 'natural' state. The first image was taken using a digital SLR and then edited on Photoshop in black and white to resemble that of Ron Gallela's. The second was done film SLR and it's not as contrasted as I would liked but however, I do like how dark it is. It in my opinion, adds to the mystery of the photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment