Friday 31 January 2014

PERSONAL STUDY: EVALUATION


The personal project was the final coursework project we were going to get, therefore it was expected to be our best project in both concept and technical ability.

The brief asked us to ‘submit supporting studies, a linked personal study of 1000-3000 words and practical outcomes from personal starting points. The outcomes were to be ‘sophisticated’ and ‘mature’ whilst also showcasing technical abilities.
Since this was a ‘self-devised’ brief it meant that you would write it yourself giving an areas of focus that you would personally like to develop after thorough research.

For my outcome I produced a series of three photographs I took myself with my chosen pathway of ‘documentary’ and done embroidery work onto them.  For my photographs I used my previous learnt technique of dodging and burning and I also used some skills I learned whilst doing textiles and applied those to my embroidery work.

To help me come with this idea, I first looked at how I could turn a pretty simple photograph and make it into a piece of art. I looked at drawing and writing on top of the photographs and found various different artists that took this approach. I then decided that I still wanted to enhance my photographs in some way, and then I found an artist ‘Maria Aparicio’ which inspired me to start to play with the ideas of embroidery. 

I met my deadline by ensuring I had enough time to experiment with my ideas and managing my time efficiently.

I think the experimenting process really helped me come with ideas on how I would begin to embroider onto my final photographs.  I thought my outcome was a success because I did enough research into my ideas to know exactly where I was going. Each of my photographs also have a meaning and the embroidery helped to convey that meaning; perhaps a little more clearly.
I think that I met the brief as I applied various skills that I had previously learnt, and applied them to Personal Project.

If I had more time I would definitely do more photographs and made it into a body of work. I would also give a little more thought into how I will present the photographs in a unique way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment