Sunday 2 June 2013

ANALYSIS: JAN VAN HOLLEBEN

This piece of work was done by renowned contemporary photographer Jan Von Holleben. He is a Berlin based photographer and his images often focus on his own personal experiences throughout his life. This photograph was from his 'Dreams of flying' series which is what he is most known for. He produced the series since 2002 with children from his local neighborhood in southwest Germany. I choose to look at this particular photograph because of all the amazing contrasts in colour. I am also hoping to make my own inspired piece, using the same themes and techniques.


Jan takes influences from his parents into his work. He focuses on the visual representation of childhood and plays on the concept of 'playing'. He combines all of these alongside his personal experiences and childhood memories. "The best feedback I get from people on a regular basis is, that I make them very happy. Maybe that is a hidden meaning?" There may not be a clear set hidden meaning behind his photographs, but many say that is bring them joy and happiness, which in some aspect can be seen as a hidden meaning. The works subject matter seem to be taking what is seen as 'impossible' and making them 'possible'. From flying around on magic carpets to having mystical adventure on the back of your pet dog, Jan's photographs help to bring these all to life. It is a very basic concept, but with a great impact on the viewer. Jan claims that of all of music's history is a major influence for him. "Photography and music are brilliantly analogue to each other. Whatever music can do to your ears and brain can photography do to your eyes and brain." He also says that courageous people with integrity and who believe in themselves help to inspire him. Those who know that they can change the world even with the smallest of actions.


In an interview Jan says that his procedure is as follows: "Fully understanding the subject matter (research), then walking with the idea for some days, starting with some sketches on paper (for myself as memory of ideas but also to explain my team and possible models how my idea works), starting production (which can be a 10 minute shoot in the studio or a two week project or split into various individual shoots depending on project) I am extremely pragmatic about my time and efforts." The photographs seem to be achieved quite simply, I would assume that he stands from a height to achieve that 'looking down on' affect, he possibly stands on a step ladder. The colours of the props in the photograph are very bright and vivid, in contrast to the simple background which is the sand. This seems to be a running theme throughout his other photographer. 


I choose to look at Jan's work because at heart I am a child myself and I appreciate that someone is able to capture all those careless and amazing childhood memories. There is something so innocent and pure about a child's imagination and their ability to make anything possible and Jan captures that perfectly in his photographs. There isn't anything to dislike about his work, as I think it's pieces that can be universally loved by all. This work has inspired me immensely to be a little more imaginative about my approach to photography. I don't need to have a serious subject matter, however have a serious approach to the work to achieve an amazing piece of photography. 

"If you only take good pictures than make it a wonderful hobby. If you understand what you do and see a point in sharing that with the world, then rock'n roll!" - Jan Von Holleben

No comments:

Post a Comment