Sunday 9 June 2013

ANALYSIS: (LANDSCAPE) NORM MAGNUSSON

(Tree Rock)
Norm Magnusson is a New York based artist, situated near Woodstock. Magnusson is an artist that uses many forms of media to get his ideas and visions across. In the series I have been looking at, 'Decorating Nature' he paints on, or adds colours to different pieces of nature from stones to leaves. He does things like adding colour to fallen leaves or patterns and also paints onto fallen pine cones. I would say that the meaning behind his work could be that he trying to bring forward the beauty that is already out there. Sort of like when a person does their make-up they are emphasizing their natural features much like Magnusson does to his own work.
There doesn't appear to be a very complicated technique he seems to just us standard acrylic paint to do his designs and then photographs the nature back in its original setting. I really like the fact that he chooses to do this, as it really makes the pieces stand out from its surroundings. For example like the image above, it's surrounded by all these other stones, but it really stands out not only by its size but also because of its simplistic pattern. 
I chose to look at Magnusson's works as I have done something similar to his work. And I find his work very interesting and refreshing. My first reaction to his work was that he has chosen a very interesting canvas for his painting and this was what struck me the most. I really like his more colorful works, but I also like minimalist ones as well, as I find its a good balance. All in all, I find Magnusson's work very creative and can be easily re-created and I think it would look lovely in a garden, having different coloured leaves and stones.

"Beauty is the best friend of consideration."- Norm Magnusson

No comments:

Post a Comment