Sunday 9 June 2013

ANALYSIS: (STILL LIFE) HENRIK BONNEVIER


This is the still life photography by Henrik Bonnevier. One could say he is quite original in the way he approaches his work. He portrays nontraditional and thought-out compositions. I choose to look a this piece of work because I am not the biggest fan of still life photography but there is something about Bonnevier's work which brings something different to the table in the aspect of still life photography.
I think that the theme for the image above could be an embodiment of a woman. This is because, the green objects which blend in with the background seem to be domestic things for example the cooker and the tables and chairs. Therefore this is the boring typical side of a woman, things that happen behind closed doors. But then the brighter more prominent things like the high heel shoes and the Chanel perfume bottle can be the more fun side of a  woman, alongside this there seems to be a figurine of a woman on the bottom right hand corner which ties everything together.
I don't necessarily think there is a deep meaning as such, just a more 'realistic' representation a woman and that there is always two sides to everything and everyone.
The materials that Bonnevier has chosen to use a very basic items which aren't too difficult to get a hold of, but it is the way he composes, and his usage of colour which bring the work to life. There are different heights in the photograph which gives the work some more dimension, and also his vibrant colour pallet is very eye catching. The colours he chose work very well together and I think that it helps the photograph that he chose to use a different tone of green for his background as it helps to tie all the colours together.
I choose to look a this particular photograph because I happen to enjoy fashion and this work seemed to be quite fashion related at first glace, and also the colour immediately attracted me to it. My first reaction was that it was just a pile of random objects, which it could very well be, but I would like to think there is a little more to it than that. I really like Bonnevier's work more than I would think, since I don't really like still life photography. His work has inspired me much, in the sense that I shouldn't just pile a bunch of objects together there should be more thought gone into it than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment